Sonrisas Level II Elementary Spanish Curriculum
Use Sonrisas Level II to teach Spanish to intermediate students grades 2—6. Language concepts increase in complexity from Sonrisas Level I, and a Partner Time segment is added. Lessons are organized around seven thematic units.
HOW IT WORKS
- Level II has the same structure as Level I—Circle Time, Story Time, and Art Time—with the addition of Partner Time.
- Partner Time capitalizes on older elementary student’s developmental capacity to work in a peer-to-peer mode.
- In Partner Time, students work together, using their Spanish, to complete an activity that gives them more practice with the performance targets.
- In Partner Time, students engage in the three modes of communication— interpretive, interpersonal, and presentational.
- Students do portfolio activities which give them independent practice with the performance targets for the lesson and develop reading and writing skills in Spanish.
Sonrisas Level II includes:
Level II Teacher’s Manual
- A comprehensive introduction provides an in-depth look at the methodology and implementation of the curriculum and a step-by-step guide for using the lesson plans.
- Seven Thematic Units guide instruction: Seasons, My School; Numbers; My Family and Friends; Food, Water, and Shelter; A Global Perspective; and Celebrating Diversity.
- 37 Lessons provide enough material for up to 148 class sessions. Lesson plans include lesson overview pages, lesson procedure pages, partner time procedure pages, and art project procedure pages.
- 43 Art Projects reinforce the language concepts for each lesson.
- Lyrics and TPR directions for all the songs on the music CDs are included.
- Reproducibles for all the activities and art projects in the lessons save you time planning.
- The scope and sequence articulates the Communication Objective, Language Outcomes, vocabulary, and grammatical concepts covered in each lesson.
Level II Student Portfolio
- 37 Partner Time activities require students to converse in Spanish to complete a task while they practice the language concepts for each lesson. Partner Time activities engage students in the interpretive, interpersonal, and presentational modes of communication.
- 37 Portfolio activities require students to do independent work to practice the language concepts for each lesson and achieve the communication objective. Portfolio activities can be done in class or assigned for homework.
- Home Reports for each lesson allow parents to see what their child is learning in Spanish. Teachers photocopy and send the reports home to parents. Home Reports also include suggestions for at-home enrichment of lesson themes.
- Formative and summative assessments allow teachers to monitor student learning in order to guide instruction and evaluate student learning using specific metrics.
- The Student Portfolio is fully reproducible and comes in both a hard copy, spiral-bound version and a digital version, making it user-friendly for teachers.
Level II Resource CD
- 167 visual aids and reproducibles insure that every lesson is engaging and effective. Images and reproducibles are included for all of the lesson activities, art projects, and Partner Time activities. They save teachers tons of time planning and preparing.
- Gives teachers the capability to build an interactive environment with students who are using laptops or personal devices.
- The Resource CD also contains a digital version of the Student Portfolio for easy printing.
The Sonrisas CD and Canciones Culturales CD
- 47 fun, easy-to-learn Spanish songs are used to introduce and develop the language concepts for each lesson. Children acquire Spanish in a fun, age-appropriate, and natural way as they sing songs with their teacher.
- Both CDs come complete with the lyrics for every song.
Calendar Time Guide
- Detailed explanation of how to establish your Calendar Time routine with over 70 activities.
- 22 daily, month, and season activities.
- 30 detailed alphabet activities that teach students the sounds and spelling of the Spanish alphabet.
- 21 in-depth geography activities which are focused on the Spanish-speaking countries of the world.
- Calendar Time lesson plan, Calendar Time scope and sequence, and Calendar Time scope and sequence template for easy planning.
- Calendar Time checklist to keep track of all of the activities that you cover.
Small Format Classroom Posters
- Sixty nine 8.5” x 11” posters that you will use in your Calendar Time lessons.
- 30 alphabet posters with creative and playful text. The posters correspond to the alphabet activities in the guide.
- One poster for each month of the year.
- Four season posters.
- Five weather posters with common weather phrases.
- El tren de los días de la semana posters—one poster for each day of the week.
- Ten color posters.
Free Rockalingua Teacher Subscription
Technology should be used to enhance language instruction and practice. Sonrisas Spanish has partnered with Rockalingua to offer a wonderful online resource that can support your students’ language learning. Your purchase of the Level I or Level II curriculum includes a free Teacher subscription to Rockalingua. This is a $159 value that will allow your students to:
- Use their devices to supplement the Sonrisas Spanish lessons.
- Listen to and view authentic music videos.
- Work at their own pace and practice discrete skills with engaging online content.
- Benefit from differentiated instruction.
After you purchase, you will receive a unique code to activate your Rockalingua subscription as well as a guide for which videos correspond to the Sonrisas Spanish lessons.
Read more about the role of technology in the Sonrisas Spanish Curriculum.
What about the Level II Storybook Set?
- The Level II Storybook Set includes an authentic children’s Spanish storybook for each lesson in Level II.
- The Level II Storybook Set is not included in the Level II curriculum. You must purchase it separately.
- You do not have to purchase the Level II Storybook Set with Level II, but then you will want to find the storybooks for each lesson on your own. The storybooks are an integral part of each lesson.
THERE ARE THREE WAYS THAT YOU CAN ORDER OUR CURRICULUM:
Pay with a credit card here on the website
Email or fax a purchase order to our office
Call our office for a quote