Sonrisas Level I Elementary Spanish Curriculum
Sonrisas Level I is an elementary Spanish curriculum for students who are at a beginner level. Level I provides you with everything you need to start a comprehensive and effective Spanish program for students in grades Prek—5th
HOW IT WORKS
- All lessons have the consistent structure of Circle Time, Story Time, and Art Time—followed by Student Portfolio activities.
- In Circle Time the teacher and students sing songs, play games, and do introductory activities—all in Spanish. Performance targets are introduced through lesson activities, and there is lots of opportunity for interpersonal communication.
- In Story Time the teacher reads an authentic children’s Spanish storybook to the students. The storybook is always related to the theme of the lesson and connects to the performance targets. Students are exposed to different voices and styles of Spanish, and the teacher uses the storytelling experience to extend communication.
- In Art Time students complete an art project which is related to the theme of the lesson. During Art Time the teacher engages students one-on-one and converses with them in Spanish about what they’re working on—further reinforcing performance targets.
- Students do portfolio activities which give them independent practice with the performance targets for the lesson and develop reading and writing skills in Spanish.
Sonrisas Level I includes:
Level I Teacher’s Manual
- A comprehensive introduction provides an in-depth look at the methodology and implementation of the curriculum and a step-by-step guide for using the lesson plans.
- 35 Lessons provide enough material for up to 105 class sessions. Lesson plans include lesson overview pages, lesson procedure pages, and art project procedure pages.
- 60 Art Projects engage young student in hands-on activities while reinforcing the language concepts for each lesson.
- Lyrics and TPR directions for all the songs on the music CDs are included. Reproducibles for all the activities and art projects in the lessons save you time planning.
- The scope and sequence articulates the Communication Objective, Language Outcomes, and vocabulary covered in each lesson.
Level I Student Portfolio
- 35 Portfolio activities reinforce the language concepts for each lesson through independent student practice. Students begin to learn to read and write Spanish independently. Portfolio activities can be done in class or assigned for homework.
- Home Reports for each lesson allow parents to see what their child is learning in Spanish. Teachers photocopy and send the reports home to parents. Home Reports also include suggestions for at-home enrichment of lesson themes.
- Formative and summative assessments allow teachers to monitor student learning in order to guide instruction and evaluate student learning using specific metrics.
- The Student Portfolio is fully reproducible and comes in both a hard copy, spiral-bound version and a digital version, making it user-friendly for teachers.
- If you would like to purchase individual copies of the Student Portfolio, click here to see bulk pricing.
Level I Resource CD
- 105 visual aids and reproducibles for the lesson activities and art projects insure that teachers save time preparing and planning.
- Gives teachers the capability to build an interactive environment with students who are using laptops or personal devices.
- The Resource CD also contains a digital version of the Student Portfolio for easy printing.
- This item is no longer available as a physical CD. It is delivered digitally.
The Sonrisas CD and Canciones Culturales CD
- 47 fun, easy-to-learn Spanish songs are used to introduce and develop the language concepts for each lesson. Children acquire Spanish in a fun, age-appropriate, and natural way as they sing songs with their teacher.
- Both CDs come complete with the lyrics for every song.
Calendar Time Guide
- Detailed explanation of how to establish your Calendar Time routine with over 70 activities.
- 22 daily, month, and season activities.
- 30 detailed alphabet activities that teach students the sounds and spelling of the Spanish alphabet.
- 21 in-depth geography activities which are focused on the Spanish-speaking countries of the world.
- Calendar Time lesson plan, Calendar Time scope and sequence, and Calendar Time scope and sequence template for easy planning.
- Calendar Time checklist to keep track of all of the activities that you cover.
Small Format Classroom Posters
- Sixty nine 8.5” x 11” posters that you will use in your Calendar Time lessons.
- 30 alphabet posters with creative and playful text. The posters correspond to the alphabet activities in the guide.
- One poster for each month of the year.
- Four season posters.
- Five weather posters with common weather phrases.
- El tren de los días de la semana posters—one poster for each day of the week.
- Ten color posters.
Free Rockalingua Teacher Subscription
Technology should be used to enhance language instruction and practice. Sonrisas Spanish has partnered with Rockalingua to offer a wonderful online resource that can support your students’ language learning. Your purchase of the Level I or Level II curriculum includes a free Teacher subscription to Rockalingua. This is a $159 value that will allow your students to:
- Use their devices to supplement the Sonrisas Spanish lessons.
- Listen to and view authentic music videos.
- Work at their own pace and practice discrete skills with engaging online content.
- Benefit from differentiated instruction.
After you purchase, you will receive a unique code to activate your Rockalingua subscription as well as a guide for which videos correspond to the Sonrisas Spanish lessons.
Read more about the role of technology in the Sonrisas Spanish Curriculum.
What about the Level I Storybook Set?
- The Level I Storybook Set includes an authentic children’s Spanish storybook for each lesson in Level I.
- The Level I Storybook Set is not included in the Level I curriculum. You must purchase it separately.
- You do not have to purchase the Level I Storybook Set with Level I, but then you will want to find the storybooks for each lesson on your own. The storybooks are an integral part of each lesson.
SONRISAS AT HOME LEARNING
Let Sonrisas take care of your distance learning needs! Students will love learning Spanish with Sonrisas founder, Brooks Lindner a.k.a. Señor Brooks, in these fun and engaging video lessons. Students sing songs, listen to Spanish storybooks, do art projects, and practice lesson concepts with online activities.
- Create a teacher account and invite students to watch video lessons and do online activities.
- Lesson plans are included.
- Follow the scope and sequence of Sonrisas Level I.
- Monthly subscription. Cancel any time.
THERE ARE THREE WAYS THAT YOU CAN ORDER OUR CURRICULUM:
Pay with a credit card here on the website
Email or fax a purchase order to our office
Call our office for a quote